Thursday, February 25, 2010

Get a Rooms

As a wise man once said "good things don't end with eum, they end in mania, or teria", with that philosophy in mind I decided today to make a visit to our local museum, the Rooms. It was mostly just to say that I was there if anyone asked and also to get a sneak peak at the history of our quiant little province. All in all it was a fascinating waste of a couple of hours, the museums had some interesting exhibits, and they had some need little artifacts. There were many pictures of famous Newfoundlanders, and better times when fish were plentiful, St. johns had not caught fire yet, and women knew their place.

The feature exhibit this month was about the various birds of Newfoundland, I had fun looking at all the different varieties of birds, at one point I yelled at the guy next to me "DUCK" he regretted looking strangely at me when that object thrown by the little kid hit him in the head. After a while I got tired of the birds staring back at me with their dead eyes so I decided to check out one of the art galleries. Not since my days of trying to trying to gain membership into the Black Panthers have I recieved so many you don't belong here looks, wait did I say Black Panthers, I mean't the Florida Panthers, doesn't matter that I can barely skate, I still easily made the team.

The animal and fish exhibits were interesting to look at, I was surprised by the lack of moose, and I also wondered where the large mouth bass was located, but workers there told me that John Crosbie was currently asleep. Outside the galleries, . the walls in the main hallways were filled with pictures celebrating our past, rare photos such as some of our famous explorers, or the last recorded picture of Ron Hynes sober. My mind was blown when I saw the life like stature of Newfoundland treasure Gordon Pinsent, it was blown again when it moved I discovered it actually was Gordon Pinsent. That's right it was Babar in the flesh, but my surprise turned to confusion when I noticed the shackle on his ankle that was bolted to the floor. It turns out he's being held captive by the Rooms, and is only allowed out to film the Republic of Doyle. I told him I would help him escape but he told me he was content, in his words "Eh, it beats the Shipping News."

I thought the Aboriginal history was very well done, there was quite an extensive look at the Beothuks, the Mic Macs(paddy wacks give a dog a bone) and how they hunted and survived before the white man moved in and pulled a Jay Leno. When looking at some of the weapons they used to hunt it amazes me they could hunt with so little when I shoot myself in the foot while playing hunting games on Playstation. Back to the animals for a second, the enormous giant squid was quite an eyeful, attempts to try and steal ink for my printer were thwarted by security, you may say it was a foolish plan, but I say have you seen the prices of ink cartridges lately? I'd be foolish not to try it. Also impressive were the skeletons of the various Newfoundland whales, including the Sperm Whale(hehe), and the Blue whale, not doubt he was blue because he had been captured.

So that was my look at the Rooms, it's one of the nicer museums I have seen, and I've seen at least one. It is good to show people who are new to the province, to show them where we came from and how we got here. In short I guess the best review I could give it is that it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. On second thought, what if I were trapped there in the night time and everything came to life, I could be just like Ben Stiller in that movie, only funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment