Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chile to Haiti: Anything you can do we can do better

It appears God was angry yet again today and took his frustration out on Chile, prompting a massive 8.8 earthquake. Details are shaky (no pun intended.....okay maybe a little intended) but there are now fears that a massive tsunami could strike several places including Hawaii, causing them to move their most valuable citizens, Don Ho, and Dog the Bounty Hunter to higher ground. The head Chile bean Sebastisn Pinera made a statement saying that his country is one of catastophres, and don't quote me on this but I believe he went on to say that Haiti could suck it, and to call him if they ever get a real earthquake. In what is being described as an early silver lining for the Chilean people, it is the two week anniversary of the new We are the World song, so to celebrate all the performers are getting together again, then they will pay further tribute by eating a local Chili's restuarant. Also, you can bet that as soon as he heard the news, George Clooney dropped the little Haitian baby he was holding and is already in Chile planning a telethon at this very second, he is Batman after all, maybe the bottom of the barrel of Batmans but a Batman none the less.

One thing that got my attention in the report I read is that the journalist seemed techinically happy, yet kinda sad that the death toll was only at 200, and that it probably wouldn't rise very much more. I guess nothing brings in ratings like people dying, just look at Joey, even that had a strong start till NBC pulled the plug, cause NBC likes to kill things, sometimes I think their president is Jack Kevorkian, then I think Kevorkian, that's a funny name. Sadly it appears that the Chilean Olympic team will the miss the closing ceremonies, which shocks me because for the life of me I couldn't even remember that Chile had an Olympic team. While I'm sure their Winter Olympics was a disappointment, something tells me their track and field team just got a hell of a lot better, London here we come.

So it appears as I read further that the tsunami warnings for Hawaii have been lifted, and I say good for Hawaii, you've come a long way from the days when you couldn't see the attacks coming , and I see the warnings are still there for Japan, you guys just keep getting the last laugh on the Japanese don't you. It's important that despite the tragedy and disaster that occurred today that everyone remember about Haiti. If you've been living under a rock for the past couple of months you either haven't heard about the earthquake, or your actually in Haiti. After hearing the comments of the head Chile bean, the Haitian president responded with "you call that devastation, our rainy season is about to hit, so up your nose with a rubber house." Who knew the Haitian president was actually a member of the sweathogs.

I'm not sure why these disasters happen to the lesser off countries, but these things always have a way of bringing people together. I mean the girls at work do jeans day for charity every Friday so who says nothing good comes out of a bad situation. Situations like these make me appreciate more where I come from and where I live, because if the biggest complaint I have weatherwise is that I have to shovel for two hours I think my life is pretty good. I'm sure Chile will rebuild out of all this, and I'm sure people will reach into their pockets and give what they have left after Haiti, but one thing is for sure if any more of these disasters happen, North America is gonna need another stimulus package.

No comments:

Post a Comment