Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Bond's Path Code

No, this is not a new movie with Tom Hanks and Ron Howard. The Bond's Path code is something I have heard about off and on throughout my years, it is something that holds the residents of this place together, yet nobody really knows what it means. For those who don't know Bond's Path is where I grew up, a little Section of Southeast Placentia, about 2o minutes walking distance from Placentia depending on how fast you went. Quite Frankly I was never quite sure where Bond's Path ended and Southeast began, some say the boundary was smelt river, but I'll be darned if I'll let fish dictate our boundries. Growing up as a kid there I always had fun, but then I have a wild imagination so I could make anything fun, from rocks to trees, you name it I imagined it was something else, but anyway I digress.

The majority of the talk of the Bond's Path Code came from one of the local town alcoholics. Now if your from Placentia, and your reading this, your probably not wondering who I'm talkin about, but which alcoholic am I talkin about. The list is a long one folks, I think their may be even a prize for the best alcoholic, but don't quote me on that. This man who shall remain nameless would often carry out the same ritual in accordance of the code, when a resident of Bond's Path left he would drink himself into a stupor(ok he often does this if nobody leaves) and he then proceeds to cry, blubbering about how Bond's Path has lost another one, and the sacred code that exists between all of them. When my sister moved to Sweden he said it, if someone moved to Point Verde, he said it, and I mean Point Verde is just through the woods, I mean unless you get attacked by a moose, he's gonna see you again.

Many times I observed this ritual, at first I was too young and didn't understand, asking questions like "Mommy why does he walk funny?" or "Why does he sound funny?' my mom who would always try to shelter me from the bad stuff would say that he had an inner ear problem, luckily my non politically correct dad would be right there to yell and enlighten me on what was really going on. I've done extensive research on the Bond's Path code, I must have asked about 2 or 3 people, and nobody seems to know what its all about. How far back does the code go, is it only this century or does it go back to biblical times? Maybe it had something to do with the old school, like if one student brought in another students wood for the fire, the next day that student would have to bring in double. Maybe it had something to do with the old swimming pool, like if there were a crowd of kids swimming it was understood that you did not pee in the pool.

I have heard stories(and by heard I mean I make them up) that late at night you can see this man staggering through the street of Bond's Path, wailing and muttering on and on about the code, the sacred code. I long for a time when I can see this code, hold the paper in my hands and fully understand what it means. Maybe it's buried in a box underneath the Pinnacle, if anybody is reading this let's go raid the Pinnacle, I'll get the shovels and you get the pitchforks and torches and together we will uncover this mystery. Even if I have my doubts, from stories I have heard the code has helped him on many occasions, such as making him such an accompolished driver he could stop on a dime and give you a nickel change, or helping in confusing times in the far away land of Toronto, when he was stuck on the street corner of walk and don't walk.

Many have asked the man what the code is all about, and the response is the same, a Mr. T level of jibba jabba that no one can understand. Truly it is a secret that will be taken with him to his grave, cause lord knows if he's cremated he's gonna burn for days.

No comments:

Post a Comment