Thursday, January 28, 2010

Don't Tread on me

Anybody who knows me would say that most of time I'm pretty easy-going, but I am only human(until the adamantium arrives) and from time to time I suffer fits of rage, today was one of those days. Let's back up for a minute, for the past few weeks I've had it in my head to buy a treadmill to help with the weight loss goal, and today was the day it was to be mine. The one I was hoping for was not there, but the one I purchased seemed solid so my friend and I managed to fit it in an all too cramped car(jumper cables, is there anything they can't do) and get it safely back to my house. I must say that so far the treadmill has served it's purpose, I've worked up a sweat, my heart rate soared, and that was just trying to put it together, you see this is where the rage comes in.

I've often had a rocky relationship with instruction manuals and putting things together. I can barely keep my life together so how much luck am I going to have with a treadmill. This particluar instruction booklet was actually quite simple, but there is often a difference between what I see in the book and my finished product. It's like when Homer Simpson tried to put together a barbecue, looked at the product on the box and then looked at his pile of rubbish and screamed "WHY DOESN'T MINE LOOK LIKE THAT", this is truly the embodiment of every project I've ever undertaken. Generally I do not like feeling rage, it gets me nowhere, doesn't help the situation, but you know sometimes you just gotta throw something, there's something cathartic about winging a small object across the room that makes you feel good about yourself. It helps if you do it to something smaller than you, like a Nascar fan when their wife told them "that Petty fella died."

I just wanna take a minute and thank the makers of my treadmill, because while your product will help me take off extra pounds, you have added to the erosion of my mental health. Giving me a proper diagram to show me where the nuts and bolts go is all well and good, but actually making it so you can line the holes up would be better in the long run. I'm pretty sure proper procedure for putting together a treamill is not trying to tighten bolt, trying another bolt when the first one won't screw in, heaving allan wrench across the room, picking up allan wrench and trying again. I'm also pretty sure that if the process leads to crying, I'm doing something wrong, okay I didn't cry but my feelings were hurt.

After a long arduous process I did infact get the treadmill operational, oh sure I left out a couple of nuts and bolts that could be important, but just to be safe I will have Jeff test it out when he gets home, better to be safe than sorry I always say. Actually I did test it out a little, nothing collapsed or fell apart on the first try anyway, and hey I've got a screw or two loose myself and I haven't fallen apart yet so it may work out afterall.

On second thought, I may skip the running altogether and just keep taking it apart and putting it back together again. It would be good cardio and I could work on my throwing arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment