Monday, January 18, 2010

When I grow up I want to be Jack Baur

The Following takes place between 12:45 and whenever I am done typing


So last night and tonight mark the return of 24, one of my favorite shows. The quality has declined over the years, the stories are somewhat repetitive, I guess there are only so many bad days you can have, but the show still has mass appeal to me, and most of that appeal is Jack Baur. The best thing about Jack is how he can go from retired agent to remorseless killing machine the blink of an eye. There is nobody else who can go from lying on the couch watching cartoons with his granddaughter to killing a guy with a fire axe in about a half an hour. Not only does he do this but he smiles after, I actually don't know what he enjoyed more, the look of happiness in his granddaughter's eyes or the look of pain and death in the bad guy's eyes.

What I've always admired about Jack Baur is that he will do whatever it takes to get the job done, from cutting a guy's head off with a hacksaw to get in with a gang to shooting Robocop's wife in the knee, there is no limits for Jack Baur when it comes to saving his country. The man can disable a bomb with just his PDA and I've yet to figure out how to use my voice mail, this is truly a man we should be looking up to. The man's had more shots fired at him than Jay Leno, he's died a couple of times, been as comatose as a crowd at an Al Gore lecture be he keeps on going. Its like one of the Jack Baur facts states if you hand Jack Baur a lemon, he will use to kill terrorists.

1:00:00

I've often had dreams of being Jack Baur, but I think I'd have to start small, work the small cases and grow from there. I would race around the clock to figure out such things as how my brother Bill scores over five hundred thousand points in Bejewelled. My theory is that he is on steroids but everyone I ask keeps dying before they tell me the truth, I am on to you brother, TELL ME WHERE THE DRUGS ARE. Unfortunately I think my short attention span and overall laziness would prevent me from being an effective Jack Baur, if the show was about me I think they would have to call it 48 cause I'd keep putting things off till tomorrow. I know how it would go, my boss would tell me they know where the terrorists are and I'd say "I can't today, I'm still on season five of the Shield and I have to finish this."

Last night marked the return of a real American hero, and it will be another season full of non-stop, twisting and turning, no time to use the bathroom or get a drink, race against the clock action. I think a big twist should be when the clock hits 11:30 they should air the Jay Leno show, turns out hes the big villain, then Jack Baur kills him, hitting him in the chin cause it's his source of power. I figure at some point the baddies go after Jack's family, probably Kim cause that girl could find trouble wherever she goes, maybe the mountain lion from season 2 will make a return, they have unfinished business. Most likely they go after Jack's granddaughter which is going to lead to some quality rage from Jack, is it so wrong that I want Jack to use her as a weapon, nothing too brutal of course, but she's only small, very easy to swing or throw at somebody. So here's to Jack Baur, saving the world one day at at time, or whenever Kiefer Sutherland gets out of jail.

1:29:00

No comments:

Post a Comment