Thursday, November 26, 2009

the story of American Thanksgiving, as told by my dad

Ah, American thanksgiving, a time of family, turkey, and football, a day when families come together, to laugh, share stories, and build up energy for the Black Friday sales that are coming the next day. Being that my dad is American, a part of him still keeps interest in the American thanksgiving, growing up I don't really remember celebrating either that one or the Canadian Thanksgiving. I always wondered why Canadian and American thanksgivings were on different days, was it a rare case where our pilgrams actually invaded somewhere first. I can't help but think that if it were today, American pilgrams would land first, and the Canadian pilgrams would arrive much later to maintain as a peace force. Also, before I get into the story, I should explain a bit about my dad, he is a good man, a great dad, made hard by the marines, made soft by life, and he has the tendency to swear at certain times. It can be endearing sometimes where he can fit a swear word where you would not think it possible, or as one of my brothers would say swear for a half hour without repeating himself, this is mostly around us, who's he comfortable with, he would not do among strangers. With all that out of the way, lets travel back in time to when I was a lad sitting on his knee, and gradually his ankle, hey I was big kid, I used to slip sometimes. I would watch the football games with my dad, cheering on the Giants if they played, or just watching whoever else, and I would ask my father about Thanksgiving, to which he would go into story mode.

"Well you see son, many years ago, a group called the Pilgrams, WHO COULD THROW A GOD@!&N BALL, arrived in this place, they called in Plymoth Rock, and AT LEAST THEY COULD GET SOMEWHERE, TRY GETTING IN THE F#@&*N ENDZONE YOU LOUSY MOTHER#@%^(!RS. When they landed they were greeted by a tribe of indians, AND UNLIKE THIS TEAM THEY COULD BEAT THE REDSKINS, YOU CAN'T GET A GOD@#N FIRST DOWN AGAINST THE REDSKINS. "

Ok, so this story never really happened exactly that way, but there were many good times sat around watching football, and while I didn't appreciate the game like I do know, I guess I'm always thankful for the time spent with my family, even if it was just plain ol thursday to us.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I just spent $500 dollars on a psychiatrist trying to block out that memory... thanks for ruining that for me

    ReplyDelete